Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What if we took away Grades?

This is something that I have wondered a lot about, especially from my own education, that I was all about getting the best grade that I could. This pressure also came from my family to get as many points as possible, and that's how I was able to measure learning for myself. It wasn't until I got to College that I realized how much I learned after I got over the fact that there was no way that I could get straight A's while taking upper division mathematical theory type classes. This is when I concentrated on really learning and understanding, and I got so much more out of classes this way. From this video, I agree with Dan Pink in the sense that so many kids think it is all about the grades and what is not learned. I think we need to begin adjusting our grading system to where we are grading upon understanding rather than completion.


1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    It sounds like you and I had similar experiences with grades. Once we got rolling in upper division coursework, we realized that sometimes you had to be thankful for just getting a "C" or "B" in some classes!

    ReplyDelete